Date: Saturday, January 29, 2022
Time: 9:00am – 5:00pm
Location: Focus Climbing Center
2150 W. Broadway Road
Mesa, Arizona 85202
Thank you for taking interest in our upcoming route setting clinic. We are looking forward to sharing space with you! This clinic has been fully funded, so all you have to do is sign up and show up. Please note that because this clinic is free, and sign up is first come first serve, we ask that if you register you are committed to attending. By signing up and not showing up, this is taking away from another person who would like to attend. In the event that you need to cancel, please give us as much notice as you can via email@example.com so we can fill your spot.
In the event that all our slots are full, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and a mention that you’re interested in taking this clinic. If we have cancellations, you will be notified on a first come first serve basis. And ideally, there will be more clinics to come, and when that time arrives, you will have first dibs to sign up.
If you’re signed up and ready to go, here’s what you need to know… Please take time to review this information thoroughly.
- Masks will be required. If you are not comfortable wearing a mask, please do not sign up for this clinic.
- If you are new to Focus Climbing Center, please fill out a waiver prior to the day of the clinic. You will also need to go through an orientation. Please arrive 45 minutes before the start of the clinic. The address is 2150 W Broadway Rd, Unit 103, Mesa, AZ 85202.
- If you’d like to avoid arriving early, consider going into Focus Climbing Center on a day before the clinic during a time of convenience for you to handle paperwork and the orientation.
- The clinic will run from 9 AM to 5 PM. We will have a devoted work space prepared and climbing holds to choose from.
- Please wear clothing that you will feel comfortable doing physical labor and climbing in throughout the day. You must wear close-toed shoes. Bring your climbing shoes and chalk. Safety glasses and setting tools will be provided for you.
- The first portion of the clinic will be introductions and an in-depth overview of safety policies. Safety is the foundation of successful route setting, so please be prepared for a deep dive, even if you have set before. We expect to have participants who have never set before, and it’s crucial to have everyone on the same page.
- Afterwards, we will start to put up climbs on the wall (where the fun really begins)! You will have time to talk with instructors about where you’ll be setting, get assistance in choosing holds if you need, and working through your ideas.
- We will break for an hour-long lunch after setting. Please bring lunch, and plenty of snacks and water. This will be a long, physical day, so sustenance and hydration are key.
- After lunch, we will start our forerunning session. This will involve climbing, tweaking your set, and climbing again. Eventually, you will have a final product on the wall that will stay on the wall for an entire rotation in the gym! Please note that there are ZERO expectations for climbing any particular grade, sending all the boulders, or climbing higher/doing moves that feel uncomfortable.
- Lastly, we will have a closing circle and an open discussion about the day, q&a, and opportunities for feedback, etc.
- Most importantly, we want this day to be beneficial for YOU. Please don’t hesitate to take up space or ask for your needs to be met prior to and on the day of this clinic. Please email any and all questions that you may have to email@example.com.
A Note on Feedback:
The intention for this clinic is to create a safe and inclusive environment for women and genderqueer climbers to explore and expand their creativity/knowledge in climbing and route setting. If at any given point you are feeling like this clinic is not providing that environment for you, we encourage you to tell us. There will be an opportunity to discuss this in person/in private (during or after the clinic), via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or anonymously (we will provide steps for this approach the day of).
If this clinic is full, you can join the wait list for this clinic and future women’s setting clinics! Join the wait list at the link below!