The AZWCC will be hosting a virtual town hall on July 9 at 6 p.m. where the community will address the topic of problematic route names in Arizona. A panel of developers will be discussing the issue of route names that are offensive or degrading to a particular group of people or an experience directly related to a group of people.
The goals of this meeting are as follows:
- Discuss route names that are potentially damaging to particular groups of people
- Discuss potential methods of changing existing route names in an ethical manner
- Create communication between the general climbing public and developers
- Increase support for developers and route maintenance organizations
- Increase empathy for individual climbing experiences that differ from our own
We understand this topic is divisive with a wide range of varying opinions. The mission of this meeting is to create dialogue within our community on this difficult topic. Your opinion and your voice MATTERS.
- Register for the virtual town hall here. Please fill out the survey to register for the event and provide your input on this topic. After you register, you will be emailed an agenda and a link to the meeting when they become available.
- Submit potentially problematic names of climbs that exist in Arizona here.
We will be releasing the results of the surveys prior to the event. Thanks to all the members of the community who have contributed to this conversation so far. We hope to see you at the town hall!